I was feeling particularly bored, and thought about shopping for fabric. Unfortunately, my conscience wouldn’t let me buy more fabric (or attempt to convince my husband that I should buy some more) until I finish the projects in queue that had fabric, pattern, and notions ready to go.
I reached into my project queue drawer, and the next iteration of Butterick 5495 is what I drew out. I wasn’t too happy about that, since I didn’t quite like this pattern. But the fabric was bought, laundered, and ready to go, so I might as well get it over with!
After I finished my first round of Butterick 5495, I was disappointed with how low the neckline was cut. I wouldn’t be able to wear this shirt modestly without a camisole underneath. Not that it’s a problem, but there’s a reason to making your own clothes: making them so they fit! Not only fit your measurements that might not line up exactly the same in all areas of your body given an off-the-rack size, but also to fit for areas like narrow shoulders, or being particularly well-endowed (or not so much in my case). So, in that case, I should have taken the time to see how the neckline would look on my front before I cut the fabric.
Well, I learned my lesson. I had bought enough fabric to make that pattern again, in another style. So when I went to cut out the front again, I made sure to adjust the neckline a whole 4″ up. I also altered the pattern (and had JUST enough fabric to do so) in the fact that I wanted the long sleeve design, not the half-sleeve design. But the long sleeve design was a much longer tunic, and I already felt the length of the shorter design was long enough. Anyhow, that wasn’t a difficult change, just needed to cut the length of the shirt at a different line.Share on Facebook