Just minutes before church this afternoon, I finally finished my coat!
Before going to mom’s yesterday, I had to stop by JoAnn’s and get some buttons, since they were having a 50% sale on buttons. They had three of one size, and five of another, and I needed six total. So I got two of the larger ones for the back and four of the smaller ones for the front. Seemed to work out fine.
At mom’s, I finally clipped all the fabric on the seams of the curves. We also got the sleeves attached, pleats folded into the upper collar, button holes made, lining attached to the outside of the coat, and the ruffle done (I should have brought my clear elastic and done that the easy way). Obviously, you can see that we did not put the piping in, unfortunately. By the time we were ready to attach the lining to the rest of the coat, we realized we should have put the piping in along the collar. We would have taken out a bunch of sewing that was already done, and that would have set us back a couple hours. Maybe I’ll do it on another project instead.
Another thing we did that wasn’t in the instructions was putting some interfacing on the cuff of the sleeves to make it more stable. Also, when sewing down the lining so it’s not shifting all over the place, we had to do that to the cuff of the lining to the cuff of the coat. That was missing from the instructions too.
When I got home, I had to finish a lot of hand sewing work. Putting the buttons on was interesting. They were HUGE buttons (1.5″), and mom showed me a trick to put a nail under the button so that there’s enough thread behind the button for some pull. I also started hand sewing the lining on the ruffle down, but got too tired and headed to bed.
The next morning, I finished sewing the lining to the ruffle, and then sewed the lining of the coat down over the seam of the ruffle to make it look clean inside. And lastly, I sewed the tab on in the back and the two larger buttons over it.
Overall, I think it was a good project. The selection of the fabric was great, because it did keep my pretty warm. Standing outside and waiting for the bus will test it against the wind. I think the hardest thing for me on this project was dealing with the pleats in the collar. Most everything else I probably could have figured out, but having mom’s guidance was definitely better than stumbling blindly through it!Share on Facebook