Ta-da!

Now, I want to preface that I’m not entirely happy with the way the gathering turned out. I think the dupioni, while pretty, with the uneven, woven threads, is just too thick of a fabric for the way this dress should be constructed. However, I think I would have been cursing the slipperiness of taffeta if I had ended up using it!

That said, the dress is all done. Every last slip-stitch is in place. Every fastener sewn into place. Every piece of lace trim tacked onto the fabric. If I had some fashion tape, I could wear it tomorrow! (Not that it’s anywhere near being work appropriate).

Front of completed dress

Front of completed dress

Back of completed dress

Back of completed dress

I probably won’t take any pictures of me wearing it until next month. But in the meantime, I am slacking off on my applique quilt, so I think I see some cramped hands covered in pencil lead in my future while I finish cutting out the pieces for a couple more blocks!

Share on Facebook

My Lace Arrived!

This afternoon, I had 5 yards of 6″ black lace trim waiting for me in the mailbox. After spending some time at the gym and eating some dinner, I rewarded myself with some sewing time!

Dress with waist trim

Dress with waist trim

I also installed the zipper and gave it a test try-on, but it’s still a bit loose at the top, so tomorrow or Wednesday, I’ll adjust the zipper so it’s a bit tighter at the top of the dress.  I can also try to get some of that rubber grippy stuff to put along the top edge.

Weird thing, while installing the zipper, one side happened to be an inch longer than the other.  I assume a seam allowance got out of whack somewhere to make THAT big of a difference. Fortunately, with the lace along the waist, I was able to fudge it a little and tuck in that extra inch.  Hopefully, no one else will notice, and just think it’s just a little wackiness in the gathering.

But, after I fix the zipper/fit, just have to hem, attach the trim to the bottom of the dress, and then TONS of slip stitching the lining to the rest of the dress!

Share on Facebook

Gathering and Waiting

I worked on my dress up until bedtime last night, so I didn’t have a chance to make a post until this morning.

Here’s where the dress is at now, and progress is on hold until I get the lace trim I need for it.

Skirt gathered and attached to bodice, waiting on lace to finish

Skirt gathered and attached to bodice, waiting on lace to finish

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

Enamored with Pleats

I’ve definitely made some progress today, even with all the extra attention I’m putting towards neatening seams and making sure everything looks “couture”. I couldn’t wait until just before bed to make a post, so here it is!

So much basting took place to get to this point, but I'm totally enamored with these pleats

So much basting took place to get to this point, but I'm totally enamored with these pleats

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

Starting the Dress with REAL Fabric

After waiting almost two weeks for some swatches to arrive from Fabric.com, I determined they must have been lost in the mail. So I contacted them and requested the swatches be sent again, but I’m impatient, and decided to head over to the Galleria Pacific Fabrics that boasts having a ton of special occasion fabric. They do, and their prices are pretty reasonable.

I really like red. REALLY like red. A lot. So I’m going to make the dress in red. I took my shoe as inspiration for the color I’d want, and most likely will wear these shoes with the dress.

My color muse

My color muse

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

Finishing the Muslin

Last night, I started working on a muslin for the dress I’m making to wear to our friends’ wedding in a couple months. (Two months, to be exact, actually!)  Tonight, I finally finished it.

Front of muslin

Front of muslin

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

Making a Toile (or Muslin)

For most of my projects, I don’t bother to make a test garment, better known as a “toile” or “muslin”. Mostly, because I’m confident they’ll fit (maybe some minor alterations). But for a pretty dress, I’ll take the extra time (especially when I’m still waiting for swatches to arrive AND it’s my first strapless dress, so I want to make sure the bust fits just right) to make it fit, since my measurements don’t line up in the same column on the sizing chart. I’ll want to know where and how much I’ll need to take in on the pattern pieces before committing it to the fashion fabric.

Here’s the pattern I’m using for this project:

McCall's 5382, Style B

McCall's 5382, Style B

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook