I’m honestly very pleased with the outcome of this dress, but there are some things I was frustrated with while making it.Share on Facebook
At this time of this post, I’ve actually basted on the collar and added the front facing for the buttons and button holes, but here’s a picture of what I’ve accomplished prior.
So far, I think I made an error when purchasing poplin for this project. It’s a tightly woven fabric, which makes it difficult to pin together. I think I should have used a broadcloth instead. And I think I may re-stitch the right (on the left) sleeve, since it appears to be puffed-up higher than the left one. Aside from what I mentioned above being finished, I need to attach the facing, finish the collar, hem, and add the buttons and button holes. Not sure if all of that will get done tonight, but it’s nearly finished.Share on Facebook
I’ve lined garments before. It’s easy and gives the garment a professional touch. Not to mention that it covers up potentially scratchy raw edges from seams. But underlining… is different. Sure, you’re still cutting out the same pattern pieces from two different fabrics, but instead of sewing the layers separately and then sewing them together once each separate garment is completed, you treat both layers as one. I found this nifty article by Sandra Betzina on Threads for help in figuring out how this whole underlining thing worked.
Let’s look at why I’m underlining. I picked up this pretty shirtdress pattern a while ago, and found a beautiful peacock blue eyelet for it from MoodFabrics.com. Fortunately for me, I got the last 2 and three-quarters yards of fabric in stock, which was just enough to make the dress.
Eyelet, as pretty as it is, offers a challenge when creating garments: a well-placed eyelet hole can cause a wardrobe malfunction. Oops! This is where underlining comes in. By adding another layer of light-weight fabric, you can add a little modesty to the garment. I chose a neutral poplin called “peach sand”.Share on Facebook