First Completed Quilt

And I’ve finally completed my first quilt! I know I’ve been absent on the blog recently, but I’ve been working on one crafting related side project (which crosses over into my occupation of being a software developer), and then a new video game came out, so I’ve been playing a bit of that. But, with my husband’s sister and her family coming to stay with us soon, I needed to get some projects cleaned up in the craft room, I mean, spare bedroom, so that they would have a place to stay. After picking up a good color of thread for the binding (because a type of top stitching would be involved), I finished up the quilt with minimum errors.

Completed owl-themed baby quilt

Completed owl-themed baby quilt

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

Kwik Clutch

This has probably been the fastest sewing project I’ve ever done. I didn’t even bother poring over the two pages of instructions like I usually do before I start a project.

Finished clutch

Finished clutch

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

500 Hours and Done Stitching

I got a coupon for framing from Michael’s the other day, and it expires on Saturday, so that was my motivation to get The Ark completed as soon as possible. And now it’s done! Total time? 500 hours and 11 minutes. I even remembered to put my initials in the bottom corner :)  Now, just to take it to Michael’s to be framed after work today!

500 hours and 11 minutes of stitchery

500 hours and 11 minutes of stitchery

Share on Facebook

Ta-da!

Now, I want to preface that I’m not entirely happy with the way the gathering turned out. I think the dupioni, while pretty, with the uneven, woven threads, is just too thick of a fabric for the way this dress should be constructed. However, I think I would have been cursing the slipperiness of taffeta if I had ended up using it!

That said, the dress is all done. Every last slip-stitch is in place. Every fastener sewn into place. Every piece of lace trim tacked onto the fabric. If I had some fashion tape, I could wear it tomorrow! (Not that it’s anywhere near being work appropriate).

Front of completed dress

Front of completed dress

Back of completed dress

Back of completed dress

I probably won’t take any pictures of me wearing it until next month. But in the meantime, I am slacking off on my applique quilt, so I think I see some cramped hands covered in pencil lead in my future while I finish cutting out the pieces for a couple more blocks!

Share on Facebook

Completed Men’s Shirt

On the way home from work, I swung by Hancock Fabrics for some shopping (oh, and they had a whole table of seersucker on sale for 50%, but I stopped myself from buying four-yards pink plaid with gold threads). They’re one of the few stores in the area who carry Kwik Sew patterns, and they carry a men’s shirt pattern that has a real placket on the cuff and a yoke in the back. I’m going to give that pattern a try after I find some really high quality fabric. Like the kind you would find in menswear at Nordstrom.

That aside, I did manage to finish Richard’s shirt tonight. He tried it on and said it fit well. I took more care in placing the buttons on his shirt than I did when I made my blouse.  And yes, I took my mom’s advice and double-checked that I placed them on the correct side of the shirt.

Completed men's shirt

Completed men's shirt

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

Another Bit of Summer Style Completed

Completed top

Completed top

Finally finished! I would have probably got it done earlier, but I spent a lot of time removing stitches and learning how to use my mom’s awesome back-up sewing machine.  I did deviate from instructions a bit:

  • All edges (armholes and lower hem) were finished with a straight stitch, save for the back neckline. The narrow hem was not necessary, since this jersey doesn’t unravel, so a straight stitch hem was good enough.
  • I tried THREE times to get the blind hem stitch to work on the front facing, but each time, I somehow messed it up. I think I’ll need some more practice on that, so I straight stitched it too. The seams aren’t super obvious, so it’s fine.
It’s a little deeper cut in the front than I would have liked, so I’ll have to wear a camisole under it.  But other than that, it fits wonderfully.  When I make my next one in the dark grey jersey with the sleeves, I’ll be sure to raise the neckline a bit.
Share on Facebook

Finishing Touches

When we got home from our vacation today, there was a package waiting that contained fabric I’ll use to make Richard a couple of shirts, and the buttons I needed to finish off my blouse. Almost considered buying these novelty dogwood buttons instead of regular round ones, but maybe for another project.

Completed blouse--a little see-through

Completed blouse--a little see-through

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

Zipper and Finishing Work

All done!

Completed skirt

Completed skirt

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

Camlann Gown

A few years ago, a bunch of us decided to go to Camlann. Some of our friends are in SCA, so they already had the proper garb to wear, but I didn’t. So I had to set about making my own gown. I used Butterick 4571 for my gown.

Camlann gown (front)

Camlann gown (front)

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook

Cassie’s Car Hammock is Complete!

Only took me six months to complete this project that could have been done in a weekend! And Cassie seems to approve of it.

Cassie approves

Cassie approves

Continue reading »

Share on Facebook