Back when I was making the owl quilt for some friends, Richard said he wanted “us” to make a quilt for our nephew. He insisted on making a jungle theme quilt. So while I was at the Sewing Expo, I found a kit from The Quilting Loft that featured the Sweet Safari theme fabrics and blocks of embroidery. I’ve never done embroidery before, but I was willing to give it a shot. After all, I love cross-stitch, so how much harder could embroidery be? Oh, and the quilt is about crib size, so it’ll be going to our future niece, who’s due any day now, and our nephew will be getting a different quilt sometime later.
Since my husband was pretty adamant about a jungle theme quilt (and he rarely has an opinion on any of my craft projects, other than they look nice), I convinced him to help me by taking the rotary cutter and cutting up all my blocks (later, I’ll have him do the strips for the rest of the quilt). He did a pretty good job with the blocks too!
Anyhow, embroidery wasn’t too bad. I got a lot of feedback and help from friends on stitches I should be using for a baby quilt so that it stays intact and isn’t destroyed in the wash. Here’s a sample of four of the eight blocks I’ve done. (The other four are the same but in the opposite direction).
If you’re interested in these embroidery designs, you can find them here. I have two more animals to do: zebra (who’s stripes are chain stitched, so it’s taking a while) and elephant. The mane on the lion was meant to be a long stitch, but after feedback, I switched to an outline stitch, and it still looks pretty good (and more durable too).
Since I had the camera out, I took photos of the completed quilt blocks mom finished stitching for the U is for Unicorn quilt. Only nine more blocks to go!Share on Facebook