I wanted to make a shirt that would complement the skirt I had just made, so I picked up Butterick 4985, and decided to make style B.
I bought some Kona Cotton in white, and after it was washed, it shrank a little bit, so I had do some creative placement with the pattern on the fabric. Also, the fabric is a bit heavier that I probably would have liked, but I think it will keep the shape of the sleeve a little better. So far, I think I’ll already make another shirt, but in a different fabric.
The shirt is gathered right under the bust, which gives it a feminine touch.
Funny story here: I was pinning the lower half of the shirt to the upper half, and wasn’t paying attention to the tailor tacks and snips made to mark points in which to match fabric. Unfortunately, this meant I pinned the lower piece upside down, and it caused a little frustration on my part, because there were these huge gaps in the back of the shirt now because the length of the fabric wasn’t lining up!
After searching around the internet for some help, I found a bunch of other sewing blogs with the finished looks that other gals made. Didn’t exactly find the answer to my problem, but it was inspiring to see the other shirts created.
Fortunately, after I unpinned the two pieces and re-pinned it together, I realized that I originally pinned the lower piece upside down.
I tried it on after I adjusted the gather and sewed the upper and lower pieces together. I might need to take it in a little on the sides (this one shouldn’t be as complex as the skirt I just made to alter).
Here’s the links to the shirts I found made by other gals:Share on Facebook