Butterflies in September

I forgot: September is National Sewing Month. No worries, I’m usually always sewing (despite my lack of updates, lately. Sorry! I promise to catch up!), but I wanted to get one more summery-perhaps-fall-transition garment done before it started to cool off in Seattle (hint: it’s been getting hotter all week, and is supposed to be in the high-80s on Friday).

After I finished a bunch of purses (yet another upcoming post, I promise), I polled my friends on social media and decided on making Butterick 6090 out of a pink with blue and white butterflies fabric that was probably poly, maybe rayon, but most likely poly crepe de chine (maybe?). I remember picking it up at SewExpo last year, and I bought four yards of it (so I have just under two yards left of it), and it’s a ridiculously soft fabric.

IMG_20150908_170122

This dress has a late-40’s feel to it with the gathered high-neckline, and also feels like something that would be in Clara Oswald’s wardrobe. The fabric is fairly lightweight, and I considered lining it, but I didn’t, and I think it’s okay. I can always throw a slip on under if necessary. There are 24 pleats on this dress, so be prepared for a bit of prepwork here. I love them, so this was a good choice for me. And yes, there are pockets! No zipper, just 12 buttons.

I spent about a day-and-a-half making this. I originally started with doing French seams on the bodice, but by the time I got to the skirt, I wasn’t going to figure out to do French seams with pockets. Inevitably, I conceded to serging┬áthe raw edges on the inside of the skirt, and even used fusible tape to finish the hem so I could finally wear it.

If there were any complications, it’s probably the yoke, because it’s not a standard with a lot of the things I’ve sewn. The front yoke is gathered (pretty tightly gathered, too), so that might be a little confusing to a new sewist, but it really isn’t too bad, just have to follow the directions!

Share on Facebook

Leave a Reply