I haven’t heard from my sister-in-law yet, so I think I’m ahead of the game and got my future niece’s quilt done before she was born! Now, I have to wait for her to arrive so I can make up a label and stitch it onto the finished quilt.
So I’ve finally completed my first quilt I’ve quilted on my own. It was a lot of work, and I probably made it more work than it should have been. Because of the quilting design I decided to use for the quilt, I was constantly going back and forth from my machine to the table to trace the designs onto the quilt for the next section and then quilt it. On top of that, I wasn’t free-motion quilting (my FMQ skills are still non-existent, but I feel more comfortable with the idea… might not hurt to see if Baby Lock makes a stitch-regulator for my Elizabeth) the quilt: instead, I was using the walking foot to quilt. That required a lot of rotating the quilt, shoving it through the machine’s throat, and more embracing my mistakes when the stitches didn’t perfectly follow the pattern I had traced onto the quilt top. By the end, the excess batting had started to pill, and the quilt top and back were covered in little fuzzies from the batting. But it wasn’t anything that a good wash after sewing on the binding couldn’t fix.
All-in-all, I’m happy with how this turned out. It’s by far not quilt-show-worthy, but I’m satisfied with it as a gift. Next time I do a quilt, I’ll probably try a more straight-line quilting design or go with FMQ. I’ve fallen in love with many of Leah Day’s designs, and would love to give some of them a go!Share on Facebook