I’ve never thought of myself as a “sequin girl”. My aesthetic is more girly-girl-froufrou, so thinking of sewing with sequins didn’t happen… often. However, I was browsing around some online fabric stores and found some 8mm sequin fabric that I kind of fell in love with. It was a bit outside my price range for what I’d pay for a fabric I had never worked with, so I only toyed with the idea of it. Soon after, while discussing the possibility of sewing with the sequin fabric, a gal in one of the sewing Facebook groups I’m in offered me 2-yards of pink sequin fabric. I pored over my stash of patterns and wasn’t happy with any of them: I didn’t want to deal with darts, needed something that accommodated for stretchy fabric, and had minimal amount of seams.
Here’s the thing about sewing with sequin fabrics (the right way): it takes a lot of time. If you’re willing to invest the time into it, you’ll end up with a beautiful, couture garment. When you sew with sequins, expect to have shreds of sequins all over your sewing space after cutting out your pattern pieces. Then, you’ll need to trim away the sequins from the seam allowances: trimming sequins caught in seams, whether serged or straight stitched, it about as fun as… something that’s not so fun. Really, it’s worth it to take the time to clean up your seams and then take care of the few stray sequins that got caught in your seams. And, of course that means you’ll need to follow it up with filling in the voids in the fabric with the sequins you cleared away. Totally worth the time.
One thing I did that this pattern didn’t call for was lining. I tried the dress on after I sewed up the four seams (two shoulders, two sides), and the inside was so scratchy! So I found some pink tricot to match the dress and used that for lining.
Now, there’s a really awesome trick for lining a sleeveless dress that I used when I made the Downton Abbey dress, unfortunately, it requires that your side seams be open. Mine weren’t. So I went the hand-sewing route. And actually, I found an article in a past edition of Threads that showed how to add a lining to a garment. I sewed the necklines together, understitched, discovered that the neckline was still rolling out despite the understitching, thus I had to hand-tack it down. Then I hand-sewed both of the armholes and finished by filling in the sequins voids around the neckline and armholes.
Even though this dress took a lot more extra effort than needed with its pattern counterpart, I’m still very happy with how it turned out. It’ll be the perfect outfit to wear in Vegas when we go in September.Share on Facebook